22 August 2008

My lucky day

Today I look forward to the relief that's coming at the end of the day: George will be home. I look forward to this for purely selfish reasons and feel no remorse or guilt about it. Starting life here in Asheville while progressing well and confidently proves a difficult task when half of the team simply isn't here. Sure, I can hang all the pictures and put them wherever I please, but we all know that when he gets home George will move them all slightly so they're level and level with the top of the door casing or perfectly parallel to something else. Trying to live in house by yourself is very unlike setting up shop in an apartment - apartments are temporary, strangely proportioned, hodge-podge lodgings that feel informal, gritty, and cramped (you know, in my experience.) Houses have whole rooms devoted to one purpose: a bedroom, a dining room, a kitchen, a living room and they're all HUGE compared to the space that served all these various purposes. I am not person enough yet to fill this space and the cats have chosen the yard as their turf.

Additionally there will be a return to food. I don't remember the last time I experienced such anxiety, frustsration, and confusion about eating. I want to cook all sorts of things but there's no need to. While my new job is exciting because I don't have to get up at four a.m., my internal clock is all messed up because now I stay at work until two a.m. This means I wake up at nine and freak out because I've wasted the whole day (as far as I'm concerned), have a reassuring cup of coffee and launch straight into doing things, sans breakfast, and by the time I have to start wrangling the cats inside I've just enough time to get my ridiculously large shirt and stupid hat together for work and whisk out the door to scoot my way to breadland, sans lunch, where I get a big cup of ice water fill my mug with their mediocre iced coffee and prey on any scraps the pastry department has left behind like a fox in a hen house - sly and ravenously. Sometimes there are pastries from the case up front left over we can have, sometimes I shell out money for a sandwich (yeah, I have to buy a sandwich from the place I work made on the bread that I baked - LAME) or we order out for some noodles. Sometimes I try and bring my own sandwich or some leftovers but I haven't perfected their transportation to and storage at work, it's a little annoying.

George's return will clearly solve all my issues. This includes having someone else around to let the cats out in the morning.

Ahhh

0 comments: