29 August 2008

$0.20/lb



$0.20/lb
Originally uploaded by sawyer.george

Now that I have a swanky 'new' MIG welder (thanks Steve!), I can get down to building myself that bowl lathe. I wandered into the local scrapyard today. It was like I'd finally entered the deep south. I must have seen a half-dozen different styles of mullet, and got into 2 traffic jams within 100 yards, one involving a crane. The beautiful, crusty mountains of steel more than made up for the clientele though. Near the back corner where I found my haul was a pile of steel shavings 20 feet high, very strange. The grand total for 280lbs of steel, $59.71. Considering a professional bowl lathe runs for $2,000, I'd say I'm doing pretty well.

1 comments:

Susan Sawyer said...

do you have a place to set it up? Shop in the garage?
Wood sources? (Plenty, I'm sure.)More fun.