26 July 2008

Progress


Garden
Originally uploaded by average lavender

It's a little late to be starting a full garden, but somehow I maintained some misplaced confidence that we'd be able to find a few cherry tomato starts around here. We managed to round up four pepper plants (two banana, one green, one yellow), brussel sprouts, broccoli, squash and seeds for kale, carrots, beets, basil, and chives. We also found some thyme and parsley. I mean, it's not my dream garden (no little tomatoes, and no, sniff, cucumbers), but at least we'll have some edible things.

It sounds like George will be headed north in the beginning of August, to see Jesse who's visiting home from China, to see his family, to go to some dude's wedding in Maine, and (hopefully) wrangle up some furniture and plants that'll fit in the car. Meanwhile... I'll be staying in Asheville to play with my consolation prize: the new scooter we haven't got yet! Which will take me to be trained at: my new job I haven't started yet! I've managed to land a part time gig with City Bakery & Cafe making bread; I start Tuesday.

The cats are way happier here than they were in California. They have a yard to play in, so Boy isn't getting chased by dogs and stuck in trees, and Girl is comfortable and not always slinking around afraid. They spend their afternoons sleeping and the late evenings being pissy because they're not outside.

George is washing the car.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

All of this sounds amazing. Congratulations, guys!

Kim Greaves said...

Congratulations on your garden and your job, Jenne. If you need anything from home (cucumbers),some of your stuff that is still here, have George stop by! Great pictures! Love, Mom

Dyani said...

mmm, the garden sounds great. I'm definitely jealous that you guys have such a beautiful yard!

And hooray for bread making and happy cats! Sounds like you're settling in just fine.

As for me... well, lets just say I'll be totally psyched when this trip is over, and all the bad shit can be told as funny stories....

woo!

hope larson said...

Aaaah, congrats on the job!!!

hannahbee said...

City Bakery?! That's where I worked when I lived in Asheville. How cool. Congrats on making it there, your home looks lovely. Your plants are very happy to still be in California. They will be your representatives here until you return for a visit.

In other news, we had our baby! Alma Noor Nabatian was born July 12th at home, a healthy 8 lbs 6 oz. We are all well, and even started a blog of our own with lots of photos of her:

www.hannahbee.com/blog

Love to you and George and the kitties...