15 January 2009

Dutch Baby


Dutch Baby
Originally uploaded by average lavender

It wasn't until we reached Boston that we started hearing about this breakfast thing called a "Dutch Baby." Cynthia described it as a giant popover, and as you may know, I adore popovers. Once we got to Vermont George's mom started talking about a Dutch Baby. I had honestly never heard of this baked good until Cynthia first mentioned it, so naturally after hearing about how delicious it is from her and Susan, we had to make one.

Preheat oven to 425.

Whisk up:
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. a.p. flour*
1/4 c. sugar
2 eggs, room temperature

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet. Swoosh the butter around in the pan so all the sides are coated. Pour in the batter and let cook for a minute on the stove top without stirring. Stick the skillet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Serve immediately! Sprinkle a little lemon juice and powdered sugar on top and serve fruit preserves on the side!

Seriously, delish.

I've put some pictures from our trip up on Flickr, we realized when we got back to Asheville is that we didn't really take any pictures at all. So when I say, "some" I mean "most of."

* a.p. = all purpose (it's something I say to myself and use when I write recipes and will probably do it again, so now you know what I'm talkin' about.)

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Hi Jenne, it was so good to see you when you were home (even though the circumstances stunk). Grandpa is doing pretty well - I just talked to him. Aunt Gayle will be here tomorrow.......
Thinking of you,
Aunt Nink

Elizabeth said...

We called these German pancakes growing up. My favorite breakfast food. We make them w/o the sugar. My bff makes them with apples or bananas in the batter (placed in the pan while the batter is heating on top of the stove). Anyway you slice it, they're amazingly delicious. We also bake them for 20 minutes, starting at 425 and decreasing the temp in the oven 25 degrees every 5 minutes. They get super puffy that way.

Dyani said...

It seems like I'm always reading your blog when I'm hungry, and my mouth begins to water uncontrollably.... Especially since I haven't had breakfast yet! This looks/sounds amazing. I'm going to have to try it...=)

Susan Sawyer said...

mmm...

(this was puffier 30 seconds before the picture.) Then we ate it.

I think of it as a wonderful vehicle for berries. Would it work w/ whole wheat pastry flour?

Just for the record, Jan's recipe is called Bismarck Breakfast and omits the sugar.

And Charlotte's Fruit Pancake is a more elaborate variation:

Heat oven to 400.
Melt 1/4 c. butter in 10" round skillet. Sprinkle w/ 1/4 c. brown sugar and 1 t. cinnamon
and 4 sliced apples, plums, or peaches. Bake 8-10 minutes.

While that's cooking, beat 4 egg whites till foamy, add 1/3 c. sugar and beat till stiff.
Mix 1/3 c. flour, 1/2 t. baking soda, 4 egg yolks, and 1/3 cup milk.
Combine w/ whites and spread over fruit. Bake and invert.

(My recipe doesn't say how long -- but I'm guessing 12-15 minutes? Till brown?)


also yummy.

It was -30 here this morning, but other places were colder. Island Pond officially had -42.