26 February 2008

Bagelin'

Before:


After:


The first bagel recipe I ever tried was from the Tassajara Bread Book and it was essentially challah donuts and honestly, it wasn't very tasty, even for challah. The next recipe I tried was from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice and they turned out bubbly, thin and ugly. From my limited bagel knowledge I would say they're more of a Montreal bagel instead of the New York that I was looking for. The bagel recipe I've been trying out now is from Baking Illustrated is great and I would argue ideal for the home baker - simple, straightforward, delicious. The only change I would make to their directions is in forming the bagel: instead of rolling out a round of dough into little dough snake and sticking the ends together it's way easier to take the round of dough and push your thumbs through the middle and stretch out a hole.

Sid Luscious and The Pants: awesome. Also: Sid Luscious is Anu! (For those of you who aren't a Sawyer - Anu is George's cousin Iran's husband...so George's cousin-in-law?) Surprise!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Delicious!

The Mystery Cupcake said...

those are beautiful bagels!

Dyani said...

They really are gorgeous... and they look so tasty!

Susan Sawyer said...

Yes, these really are pretty.
Still, I like Montreal bagels (I know, they're thin and ugly.) Did that recipe taste good too?


Town Meeting on Tuesday! The sun feels like it, too, like it could be sugaring and mud season any minute.