21 July 2009

News


News
Originally uploaded by lady grey cupcake

...and a blurry picture! (All the pictures we take seem to be coming out a little blurry lately.) Featured here are my new book, The Bread Builders, my new mug and some new bread! The book is really fascinating, it talks not only about masonry ovens and how they're built but also about how bread is made - not recipes so much as the mystery of baker's percentages. Between the chapters are little profiles of bakeries, like American Flatbread or the Cheeseboard and it's exciting to know what and where they're talking about. I'm just about to start the section on baker's percentages. Eee!

We picked six ears of corn from the garden last night and eagerly set some water boiling. George shucked them and we were pleasantly surprised to find they hadn't been ravaged by various bugs. We were not pleasantly surprised when we finally got to sink our teeth into it and it was ... kind of mushy, sticking to our teeth, and a little flavorless. Did we pick it too soon? Too late? What happened, corn?

Luckily we had some other dinner to fall back on. This leads me to my actual news which is that I've started up a second blog! It's really going to be all about food! I invite you all to head on over to Pétit Déjournal and read about my new project: Food Day. (At least that's what I'm calling it until something more elegant comes along.) Bicycats will continue and will still just be about what's happening with our riveting lives and how cute our cats are.

1 comments:

Kim Greaves said...

I will keep up with your Petit Dejournal, as well as your riveting life, my Dear. Maybe the corn was a little big, sometimes that makes it a little starchy. We won't have corn foreevvvvver here. But, we didn't have rain this afternoon. Not bad. One hour at a time!Love you. Mom