23 April 2008

Meh

It's true, most of my energy focuses on bagels. My boss is great vat of ideas but takes her sweet time implementing them so I've been trying to be really excited and really pushy about things at work. Next up: homemade organic marshmallow, the gateway to rice crispy treats. Other foods of note recently include some mediocre granola I made for breakfast this morning, the lemon tart slated for this afternoon and the earl gray cupcakes from last week. I went to the extent of using cake flour for them and was really pleased with how they turned out - light, airy, one may even say delicate. The earl gray flavor wasn't overwhelming and they weren't too sugary. The first few I brought home I just dusted with powdered sugar because George is never keen on the buttercream and after he, Yannick and James tried them we (me, Yannick) decided they really needed the buttercream which made them all the silkier.

I have yet to find a replacement for my bike and while I have a Schwinn to tide me over it's a completely different style of riding. Slowly I'm feeling more and more defeated, strangely outcast and sad about my lack of road bike, there's a fantastic freedom in zipping around efficiently and I miss it. Craigslist isn't helping and ebay makes me feel crazy and apparently everyone else in the Bay Area is looking for a 52cm road frame. Soon I may bite the bullet and just buy myself a *new* bike.

Yesterday I finished the back of the sweater I started, today I work on the left and right front. I knit and elephant and a piece of pie.

We're mostly exhausted and stretched just a little too thin. We'll be taking a quick trip to Portland mid-May with Liz and Yannick which can only be fun, exciting, refreshing, and exhausting. Liz and I are looking forward to rollerskating.

5 comments:

Dyani said...

You know, I recently ate earl gray jelly... And it was surprisingly good. I would love to try the cupcakes too though....

glad you enjoyed my joke...=P Beach? Or is the weather still going to be uncooperative?

Unknown said...

There is a great Green Tea Cupcake recipe in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

Jenne said...

They've got a earl gray in there too, it's a variation on the chai tea latte cupcake, which I tried making but for some reason something went horribly wrong and despite being in the oven for twice as long as they should have they were mostly uncooked. It was gross.

Susan Sawyer said...

I've never seen cake flour for sale around here. I'm impressed I can get bread flour, though, just recently -- and in Hardwick. That plus a bit of the gluten Annie left here are making my 2/3 whole wheat plus sesame, flax meal, and oat bran bread quite good-textured. If you like such things. Not exactly a light and airy cupcake.

What are you going to do with the marsh mallow? I'll stay tuned and find out...

Anonymous said...

Your bike situation makes me so, so sad. Much sympathy. :(