03 January 2008

It's rainin' rain.

While the northeastern part of the country is getting all sorts of snow we've started getting all sorts of rain. Today was dark and rainy and even windy. In fact, it was noticeably windy. Luckily I spent the whole day inside the bakery twiddling my thumbs and watching the clock hands move painstakingly slowly. Outside the trees were shaking, umbrellas were bustling and customers who stopped in told me harrowing tales of branches being in the road between here and Point Reyes. When I finally came home I discovered our basil plant launched from it's place holding our screen door open on the stoop and laying dis-potted on the other side of the stoop and the big beautiful pot smashed. San Anselmo is no good for our plants. We had a perfect little about-to-bloom yellow rose bush stolen (despite the fact it probably weighed over 50lbs), at least five plants - indoors and out - have come down with some blight or other, the over dramatic basil smashing...

My biggest beef with inclement weather is our mail. We've got a cute little urbany mailbox on the side of the house and it's got a little lid and little arms to hold the newspaper we don't get and it's all well and cute aside from the fact it's outdated and mostly useless. Mail these days tends to get big and fat and awkward and doesn't fit well in this well intentioned box so the lid can't close and everything gets completely soaked. I want to put a plastic bag out for the mailman to put the mail in but doubt that he'd get it. George mentioned building a roof for it, which is a fairly good idea. I'd consider looking for a new mailbox but after mailbox hunting with Hope it's a task I'd rather no tackle - especially for house I don't own or plan on sticking around in.

Tonight we try and make our own pad thai.

0 comments: